Commercial Driver's License

Commercial Driver's License

Regional Employment Forecast

Annual Salary RangeAnnual Salary Range Graph
2017-2027 Employment Projection
Regional Employment Projection State Employment Projection
Entry Level Educational Requirements:
Entry Level Education Requirements

All data was gathered from the State of Oregon Employment Department
Data provided for a commercial driver position. For a different employment forecast, visit the
State of Oregon Employment Department.
+ Outcomes & Curriculum Maps
+ Degrees & Certificates
+ Courses
+ Distance Education
+ Transfers & Articulations

Prospective Jobs

Commercial Truck Driver    

Soon to come!


No News Currently. Check Back Soon!

More News

Q & A 

How do you get a CDL?

A commercial driver's license (CDL) is obtained much like a regular driver's license. You must pass a knowledge test as well as a driving test. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is the federal entity that regulates commercial drivers. To meet FMCSA regulations you must be 21 years old (to drive across state lines or carry hazardous materials), have no prior disqualifying criminal offenses, have a medical examination self-certification, have a current driver's license, and provide a 10 year driver history. You may also have to meet state specific regulations1.

What is a commercial driver's license?

A commercial driver's license allows you to drive a certain type of commercial motor vehicle. The US Dept. of Transportation classifies a commercial vehicle as: A motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle: 1) Has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds inclusive of a towed unit with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds; or 2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 or more pounds, or 3) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or 4) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations2.

What are the different CDL license classes?

There are 3 different classes of commercial driver's licenses3:
  • Class A: required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, to include a towed vehicle that is heavier than 10,000 lbs.
  • Class B: required to operate:
    • A single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs. or heavier.
    • Any vehicle as described above that is towing another vehicle weighing up to 10,000 lbs.
  • Class C:may be required if:
    • The vehicle you intend to drive does not meet the criteria described for either a Class A or Class B license.
    • Is meant to transport either:
      • At least 16 passengers (to include you, the driver).
      • Hazardous material (HAZMAT) as laid out by federal guidelines.


Klamath Community College Non-Discrimination and Equal Opportunity Policy

It shall be the policy of the Klamath Community College District to affirm the rights of all individuals to equal education, activities, facilities, and employment without regard to age, sex, disability, national origin, race, marital status, religion, or sexual orientation in accordance with federal and state laws. Klamath Community College complies with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and any amendments thereto.

Inquiries or grievances concerning the application of these laws and regulations to the College may be directed to the Klamath Community College’s executive director of Human Resources at 7390 South 6th St., Klamath Falls, OR 97603 or at (541) 882-3521; or to the director, Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Washington D.C. 20201.

Any person who would like more information regarding Klamath Community College's Title VI program can contact its Title VI program officer, Justin Wright, at the address noted below.

Any person who believes they have, individually or as a member of any specific class of persons, been subjected to discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, income level or limited English proficiency has the right to file a formal complaint. Any such complaint must be in writing and submitted within 180 days following the date of the alleged occurrence to:

Justin Wright, executive director of Human Resources/legal counsel. Title VI program officer.

Klamath Community College
7390 South 6th Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97603
Phone: 541-880-2203        

Program Advisor