November 9, 2021 | Fall Term Week #7
Inspirational quotes and fun jokes
- “Never iron a four leaf clover. You don’t want to press your luck”
- “Water is heavier than butane, because butane is a lighter fluid”
- “Coming soon, Star Wars 12, Luke needs a walker”
- “Sometimes the smallest step in the right direction ends up being the biggest step of your life. Tip toe if you must, but take the step."
This week we celebrate Veteran’s Day on Nov. 11, Thursday. Veteran’s Days is the opportunity to honor those who served in the United States Armed Forces. The federal holiday coincides with Armistice Day and Remembrance Day, which marks the end of World War 1. These observances reflect the end of significant hostilities at the 11th hour on the 11 days of the 11th month of 1918 when the Armistice with Germany took effect. Initially, the US observed Armistice Day as well but it later evolved into the current Veteran’s Days in 1954. Thank a veteran and use #VeteransDay to post on social media this week.
It’s here, the KCC Holiday Hustle Virtual 5K Event
This week, Student Life and the Wellness Committee/Team are happy to announce the upcoming Holiday Hustle 5K virtual Event during the month of November! This event is a great opportunity to get up, get active, and support a worthy cause. 100% of the proceeds for this event will benefit the KCC food pantry and help provide holiday theme boxes to our KCC students.
- What do I need to do?
- Register here.
- Track you distance as you walk, run, hike, bike, swim, kayak, or move however you choose, in order to complete the 3.1 miles or 5K distance.
- Once you complete the 3.1 miles, submit your time by 3 pm on 11/29 in the link provided upon registration.
- Once you have submitted your final time, you will be entered to win prizes!
KCC student entries are free!
All other entries:
- $15 for individual entry (with no swag),
- $50 for team of 4 (with no swag),
- $30 for individual participant (with swag),
- $100 for team of 4 (with swag),
- children under 10 free (must be associated with a registered adult).
Registration: Online 11/10-11/26. Click here to register.
In the month of November, we celebrate recipes that include pumpkin.
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil, vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in a separate bowl. Stir in pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
This recipe can be found here: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17036/pumpkin-pancakes/
Physical Wellness Schedule
Wellness Center Hours of Operation
Hours of operation (unsupervised but open to all who register and sign the waiver)
Monday-Friday 6:30 am-9 pm
Saturday 10 am – 2 pm
Cost: Free to all for fall term
How do I Register? To register for membership please respond to this email or pick up a registration form in the Wellness Center during our Open House Event (see above)
2 - 2:30 pm
*Meet at the trailhead near building 4
5 - 6 pm
*Virtual or in-person delivery.
In-person participation will be held in the Group Exercise Room of the Wellness Center
For virtual zoom participation contact Valerie at Valerie.email@example.com for details
Wellness Center one-on-ine and small group training sessions
*If you are interested in an introduction session to the Wellness Center and a beginner program, please contact Valerie to schedule a free session.
Monday/Wednesday 6:15 - 7 am or 7 - 7:30 am
To register, contact Valerie Franklin at Valerie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow the November series on the what, when, why’s of the mini workout.
Did you know that research shows short bouts of exercise throughout the day can have similar benefits to longer workouts?
A 2013 study published in the American Journal of Health Promotions found that short bursts of moderate to vigorous physical activity care beneficial for weight loss and weight management. Short workouts are the antidote to the busy, modern, lifestyle filled with commitments. Adding in several 10-15 minute workouts throughout the day can provide the same benefit as an exercise session lasting 45-60 minutes. Working out for 10-15 minutes at a moderate to high intensity can make a huge difference in your fitness level. When completing these short workout sessions, bursts of high intensity interval training (HIIT) may be more effective for weight loss than longer and less intense workouts.
Great news KCC family, we have just the place for you to engage in those short beneficial workout sessions right here on campus. We can provide you with some suggested 10-15 minute workout session so that you don’t have to create your own workout plan. Beginning Monday, Nov. 15, the Wellness Center will have a selection of pre-made workouts available to all participants. The variety of workouts have been created to fit a wide range including strength training, cardio, circuit, and more. Come on in to the Wellness Center, grab a workout, and get moving.