What is the difference between a commercial and a private pilot?
Commercial pilots get paid for the flying they do. This could be with an airline or as a charter pilot. Private pilots fly more as a hobby. There are far more restrictions on where and when a private pilot can fly, but commercial pilots have far more regulations to follow.
What kind of pilot certificates are there?
lists several types of pilot certificates:
- Recreational pilot: Recreational pilots can only fly less than 50 nautical miles from their departure airport, during the day, and must stay clear of controlled airports.
- Private pilot: Private pilots can fly any aircraft in their allowed category. They are allowed to fly at night and at controlled airports.
- Student pilot: Student pilots must be at least 16 years old. They are allowed to fly solo.
- Sport pilot: Sport pilots can only fly light aircraft at low altitudes in their local area.
- Commercial pilot: Commercial pilots are allowed to be paid for flying services. There are additional regulations for commercial pilots.
- Flight instructor: Flight instructors learn more in depth information about aviation. They are allowed to teach others.
- Airline transport pilot: This certification allows pilots to fly commercial airliners. It is the most advanced pilot certification that one can earn.
What are some facts about aviation?
According to the Federal Aviation Administration
- 7,000 aircraft in the sky at any given time.
- 23,911 commercial flights every day.
- 2,246,224 passengers flying every day.
- 19,299 airports.